If you’ve noticed that this year’s summer songs are also bummer songs, you’re not alone.
In 2018, there’s been enough popular music about wrestling with bad feelings to call it the year of the sad song! Sad pop tunes are a constant…but what sets the 2018 crop apart is their immediacy. You know you’re in for a weeper in seconds, just as you know a car commercial is selling you a car in the first frame of the ad. As for why this “down” trend is happening now. It feels like people are reacting to shaky feelings by arming themselves with the tools to get to wellness, then sharing them with anyone who’ll listen.
So which of this summer’s songs are so sad they’re good? Here’s sad songs of summer playlist for 2018:
- “God’s Plan,” Drake
- “Self Care,” Mac Miller
- “Better Now,” Post Malone
- “I Was Never There,” The Weeknd
- “Growing Pains,” Alessia Cara
- “I’m a Mess,” Bebe Rexha
- “Lucid Dreams,” Juice WRLD
- “Real Friends,” Camila Cabello
- “In My Blood,” Shawn Mendes
- “No Tears Left to Cry,” Ariana Grande